Are there any advocacy services for people with mental health issues?

Together have an IMCA (Independent Mental Capacity Advocates) service that works with people who lack capacity to make a specific life changing decision – such decisions may include serious medical treatment, accommodation changes that are for more than 28 days in hospital or 8 weeks in a care home, certain types of accommodation care reviews, safeguarding adults and deprivation of liberty.

St Helens Coalition of Disabled People have been commissioned to provide support, guidance representation and information for people who experience a mental health problem. This free, independent and confidential service allows people to receive appropriate advice and support in order to raise concerns and make a complaint for themselves, or progress concerns and complaints on behalf of service-users who are not able to fully participate in the process themselves. Such issues may include housing, challenging diagnosis, securing care/support services, access rights to children in care, family court and care co-ordination.

The United Kingdom Advocacy Network and Action for Advocacy can also provide further information about mental health advocacy and local services available.

Advocacy for support after rape or sexual abuse is available from RASASC and RASA.