Useful online resources to find out more about mental health include:
- Mind (infoline 0300 123 3393) is a mental health charity that ensures anyone with a mental health problem has someone to turn to
- Sane (helpline 0845 767 8000) provides emotional support and information to anyone affected by mental illness
- Rethink (helpline 0300 5000 927) provide practical advice and information
- The NHS website
- Mental health awareness charities and campaigns such as Time to Change, Rethink, Stamp out Stigma and the Mental Health Foundation.
- Every Mind Matters created by Public Health England, gives advice and tips online to help look after your mental health and wellbeing.
There are a variety of organisations that can provide support to people with mental health problems in St Helens – these include local NHS services, charities and voluntary groups. Services and treatments available may include:
- peer support groups
- social prescribing (non-medical sources of support)
- self-help e.g. books on prescription
- advanced therapies (such as psychotherapy)
Creative Alternatives is funded by Public Health to provide creative activities is St Helens as an alternative or in addition to standard treatments for people who experience mild to moderate depression, anxiety and stress.