I’m caring for someone with mental health problems – where can I find support?

Together UK run a Carer Support Service, available to anyone (over the age of 16) who cares for someone with mental health problems; it offers advice, signposting and group meetings to help build social networks.

Making Space have a Carer Support Service that provides general information and advice, access to breaks, Carer development, support groups and a befriending scheme.

St Helens Mental Health Carers aims to support, inform and involve people who care for someone who experiences mental distress. They provide general information and signposting, in addition to a monthly reference group (held every second Wednesday of the month at United Reformed Church) to discuss the latest developments in mental health service provision in the borough.

There are also other mental health Carer support groups that meet on a monthly basis:

  • Heath Park Lodge Carers Group (WA9 5PG) meet at 10am on the last Saturday of every month
  • Vista Road/Haydock Carers Group (St James’ Parish Church, WA11 0NJ) meet at 6pm on the last Thursday of every month
  • Knowsley House (Peasley Cross, WA9 3DE) group meets at 6pm on the second Tuesday of every month

5 Borough Partnerships NHS run a Joint Service User and Carer Forum, giving service users, Carers and their representatives the opportunity to feed views and opinions into the Trust. As part of the forum you will also have the chance to contribute to local, regional and national consultations when necessary. Please contact 5 Borough Partnerships on 01925 664 000 for further information.

St Helens Carers Centre provide a range of support for people who care for a relative or family member including help and advice, support with benefits, accessing breaks/respite and promoting Carer’s emotional health – please see some of the related frequently asked questions below for ways in which the Carers Centre can support you.

YoungMinds provides a helpline (0808 802 5544) for parents or Carers who have a concern about their child’s emotional problems or behaviour.