Where can young people go for someone to talk to?

Growing up can be tough, and everyone is likely to encounter problems and concerns as they get older. Common concerns that young people often experience may include sex, relationships, sexuality, pregnancy, bullying, friends, family, parents, appearance, body image, drink, drugs, smoking, health, wellbeing, fitness, diet, money, housing, the law, learning, college/university, getting a job and so many more.

Recognising that you have a concern or wanting to do something about it can be the first step to overcome it, and there are lots of sources of information and people that you can talk to for help. If you don’t feel that you are ready to talk to your friends, family or someone at school/college about what is on your mind, you could also try:

  • Talking to someone in confidence, such as Childline (0800 11 11)
  • Looking at general information and support sites, such as Young Minds, TheSite, National Youth Agency and DirectGov
  • Visiting a health professional or specialist (if your concern is medically related)
  • Going to a local support group or online community to talk to others in a similar situation
  • Using resources provided by charities and voluntary groups in the St Helens area, such as Platform 51, Connexions or LIFE

The Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families has recently relaunched the Youth Wellbeing Directory, the largest UK online search engine for mental health services and support for children and young people up to age 25. Young people are at the heart of this free resource, empowering them to discover and access mental health support in their area. Click the following link to access the Youth Wellbeing Directory www.annafreud.org/children-young-people/youth-wellbeing/