Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, throughout the past year, some of the information provided in the Gateway website may be outdated or changed. We are trying to resolve this for all organisations; apologies if you have been affected.

I am concerned about the welfare of a child or young person – who can I report it to?

If you believe that a child or young person is at immediate risk you should contact the police immediately on 999.

If you believe that a child or young person is not in immediate danger but at risk of neglect or abuse (physical, verbal, emotional or sexual) then you can:

  • Contact St Helens Council on 01744 676 600 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday). If it is outside of these hours you can call the Emergency Duty Team on 0345 0500 148
  • Contact Merseyside Police on 0151 709 6010
  • Contact the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000
  • Discuss the concerns with a professional (e.g. teacher or social worker).

Further information about domestic violence for children and young people can be found at The Hideout.