How do I get the Winter Fuel Payment or information about insulating my home?

If you are aged 60 or above you may be entitled to a tax free payment (called Winter Fuel Payment) to help keep you warm during winter – the amount you receive depends on your personal circumstances (e.g. who you live with and how much pension you receive). The Winter Fuel Payments helpdesk (0845 915 1515) provides information about Winter Fuel payment, guidance on reporting changes to your circumstances and claim forms.

The Home Heat Helpline advises people worried about paying their fuel bills and keeping warm during the winter. It also gives advice to low income households in urgent need of heating help and advice. The helpline is free and open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm on 0800 33 66 99.

St Helens Home Improvement Agency’s Affordable Warmth Unit (AWU) can help you save energy, reduce your fuel bills and improve your standard of living. They can also help you access heating and insulation grants, resolve problems with utility companies and provide general information about heating your home. The AWU can be contacted on 01744 671 611 or 01744 676 555.

Further information about insulation and heating improvements can be found via the Government’s Warm Front scheme (tel: 0800 316 2805).