Where can I find help to stop/reduce my drinking/alcohol addiction?

St Helens Intergrated Recovery Service, CGL provide a variety of services in St Helens for the treatment of alcohol addition. They operate a four-step process from initial access and assessment, therapies and interventions to suit each individual, leading through to recovery and reintegration into society. In addition to providing information, health assessments and testing, St Helens Intergrated Recovery Service, CGL also run a number of support groups, peer-led activities, one-to-one work and counselling.

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship or men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other so that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. They have a branch in St Helens that runs a helpline (01744 675 620) and several support groups that are held throughout the borough.

The Hope Centre offer a motivational recovery programme called ‘Equipped’ for those aiming towards abstinence from substance misuse. The course is designed to enhance the prospects of the individual and ensure that their transition to independence is successful.

There are also national organisations and charities that you can go to for further information, such as the Mental Health Directory, Drinkline (helpline: 0800 917 8282), DrinkAware, Al-Anon and Frank. Inexcess are a Merseyside based charity with videos, blogs and stories from people who have recovered from alcohol and drug addiction.

If you are addicted to alcohol and have also been diagnosed with other mental health problems, Dual Diagnosis offers a local support group which you can attend for peer-based support.

Self-help books and CDs are available to help with alcohol reduction through the ‘Books on Prescription’ service available at your local library.

CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) is about supporting men, particularly those aged 15-35. It’s about giving you a break, a way of getting things off your chest and sorting your head out. If you’re going through a tough time and live on Merseyside then they could help you get back to enjoying your life. They provide a helpline (0800 58 58 58) and a website full of information, blogs and stories on issues relating to depression and suicide.

Hypnotherapy Directory: www.hypnotherapy-directory.org.uk