Where can I find support with applying for benefits?

DirectGov run an online Benefits Adviser service to obtain information about benefits for you or for someone else. The service is useful to check which benefits you may be entitled to, and to gain an estimate of benefits, tax credits or pension that may be available. There are also a number of helplines available for further support including:

  • Jobseekers allowance: 0800 055 6688
  • Tax credits: 0345 300 3909
  • Child benefit: 0845 3021 444
  • Benefits for disabled people/Carers: 0800 882 200

St Helens Citizens Advice Bureau can help you claim your full benefits entitlement by checking that you are receiving all the benefits to which you may be entitled to, completing forms for you and helping you with reviews/appeals. They also have a number of fact sheets that provide simple answers on a range of benefits.

The Family Information Service can provide you with information about financial help related to families – for example if you are a parent with a pre-school or school aged child, expecting a baby, a lone parent, a student, a teenage parent or caring for a sick/disabled child.

Please also see the frequently asked questions below relating to benefits for people with a disability and benefits for older people.