Where can I find help for eating disorders?

Whiston Hospital has an Eating Disorder Service based at for anyone above the age of 16 experiencing Anorexia Nervosa, Binge eating disorder, Bulimia Nervosa or any non-specific eating disorders – they can be contacted on 0151 430 1321.

b-eat is a national charity designed to increase knowledge, awareness and understanding of eating disorders; providing support, help and information to people directly affected. They run a helpline (0845 634 1414), online support forum, general information and they also hold local support groups – the closest group to St Helens is located in West Derby (L12 7GJ).

ABC (Anorexia Bulimia Care) is a national charity that provides personal advice and support to anyone affected by anorexia, bulimia, binge eating and all kinds of eating distress. Their website includes information about eating disorders, their befrienders scheme, courses that they run and they also have a helpline (01934 710679) and e-mail contact for one-to-one support.

Platform 51 run a counselling service called the InPartnership project, designed to work with males and females aged between 11 and 19, and women over the age of 19 with any problem or topic, including eating disorders.

Self-help books and CDs are available to help with eating disorders through the ‘Books on Prescription’ service available at your local library.

CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) is about supporting men, particularly those aged 15-35. It’s about giving you a break, a way of getting things off your chest and sorting your head out. If you’re going through a tough time and live on Merseyside then they could help you get back to enjoying your life. They provide a helpline (0800 58 58 58) and a website full of information, blogs and stories on issues relating to depression and suicide.

Further information about eating disorders can also be found online via Mind, Sane and the NHS Website.