What do Social Services do for children and families? How can I contact them?

Children’s social care services work in partnership with other agencies to support:

  • families where children are assessed as being in need (including disabled children)
  • children who may be suffering neglect/abuse and need protection
  • children who may need looking after (e.g. through fostering or care)
  • children who are placed for adoption within families

Further information about social care services for children and families can be found on the St Helens Council website. You can also speak to someone at the Contact Centre on 01744 676 600 (or the Emergency Duty Team for out of hours).

Family Rights Group is a national charity that advises families whose children are involved with, or need children’s services, because of welfare needs or concerns. Through their free and confidential adviceline (0808 801 0366) they can advise parents, friends or relatives of a child who has the involvement of Social Workers, or if you need extra support from children’s services.