Where can I find support with homelessness?

Hope House (103 Church Street, also known as the ‘Soupie’) provides various services for the homeless, those at risk of homelessness and substance misusers:

  • The Urban Café provides essential nutritional and personal care including breakfast club, emergency food hampers, shower and laundry facilities
  • An advice and advocacy service that aims to provide service users with support to secure accommodation, access drug/alcohol treatment and health services

The Housing Options and Advice service has a legal duty to prevent homelessness, and is able to offer a variety of options or actions depending on your circumstances. You can either telephone the service or call in person, and trained officers will listen carefully to your problems and discuss the appropriate solutions.

There are also two main hostels within St Helens that provide emergency accommodation:

  • St Helens YMCA
  • Salvation Army

The housing/homelessness charity Shelter does not have a branch in St Helens, however their free national helpline (0808 800 4444) can give you immediate and practical assistance, explain your rights, offer advice/guidance and suggest specialist or local support services to help you in the longer term. Shelter also operate the Community Legal Advice helpline (0845 345 4345) and Homeowner helpline (0300 3300 515) for those struggling to pay their mortgage.

Further information about homelessness can be found via Citizens Advice Bureau, DirectGov, Homeless UK and Crisis.

CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) is about supporting men, particularly those aged 15-35. It’s about giving you a break, a way of getting things off your chest and sorting your head out. If you’re going through a tough time and live on Merseyside then they could help you get back to enjoying your life. They provide a helpline (0800 58 58 58) and a website full of information, blogs and stories on issues relating to depression and suicide.