What mobility aids are available for older people to help around the home?

On a local level, the following organisation can provide a face-to-face, phone or email information and advice service to help you identify and locate appropriate mobility aids:

On a national level:

  • Independent Age can provide you and your family with clear, free and impartial advice on the issues that matter: care and support, money and benefits, health and mobility.
  • The Disabled Living Foundation run an online service called AskSARA that can help you to identify aids that could help you around the home.
  • Ricability provides independent consumer reviews for older people and disabled people including reviews on mobility aids and products

You may also be entitled to financial support from the Council to meet your social care needs if you have an age related illness. In order to determine this, you will need to contact St Helens Contact Centre (01744 676767) to arrange a social care assessment or occupational therapy assessment.

The National Benevolent Fund for the Aged are able to provide emergency alarms and pain relief machines for older people on low incomes – visit their website or call (020 7828 0200) for further information.