St Helens YMCA
Founded in 1889, St Helens YMCA specialises in helping local people through the provision of housing, training, house clearances, childcare and sport/fitness facilities. Their aim is to work within the local community to provide a range of services to support the disadvantaged, whilst also providing a series of facilities and events for the general public.
Services provided for homeless people:
- Supported accommodation for single, unemployed homeless people (aged 18-55) with support needs (including people with drug/alcohol problems, mental health problems or ex-offenders). There is a 56 bed hostel and two separate ‘move-on’ bedsit developments (Central Court and Norman Salisbury Court)
- The ‘Foyer Project’ is a stepping stone to independence and helps people to make the transition into training and employment by giving participation control over their lives and open their eyes to opportunity
Community Centre services provided for the general public:
- Online Centre provides basic computer training, help with job search, creation of CVs, help and advice
- Sports and Fitness classes/facilities for adults and children such as dance classes, fitness classes, gym, squash courts and tai chi
- Access to National Citizens Service for 16 year olds to enhance their personal and social development
- Childcare facilities including a playgroup setting for children aged between two and five
Y Sports is for young people aged 10-18 in St Helens. We are based from The Beacon but deliver sessions across the Borough. The Beacon Gym provides free sessions on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings for young people aged 14-18 6pm-9pm.
Most sessions are free, some include a small charge. For all our up to date information and timetables please check the YMCA St Helens or follow us on Facebook (YMCA Youth Sports) and Twitter (@YMCA_YSP)
How to Access
To access the supported accommodation you will need to visit or call the YMCA on 01744 455 030 to arrange an appointment for a face to face interview with a Housing Officer.
Further information about services for the general public can also be found on the YMCA website or by e-mail/phone.