Home-Start St Helens
“Home-Start St Helens” is the UK’s leading family support charity that aims to increase the confidence and independence of families by:
- Visiting families in their own homes to offer support, friendship and practical assistance
- Reassuring parents that their childcare problems are not unusual or unique
- Encouraging parents’ strengths and emotional wellbeing for the ultimate benefit of their children
- Trying to get the fun back into family life
Parents may ask for Home-Start’s help for all sorts of reasons, for example:
- They may feel isolated in their community, have no family nearby and be struggling to make friends
- They may be finding it hard to cope because of their own, or their child’s, physical or mental illness
- They may have been hit hard by the death of a loved one
- They may be really struggling with the emotional and physical demands of having twins or triplets – perhaps born into an already large family
- Family support provided by a volunteer. An initial assessment of needs is conducted by “Home-Start St Helens” and then an appropriate volunteer will be matched with each family to provide three/four hours of support per week in the family’s home. All volunteers have parenting experience, are fully trained and DBS checked.
- Volunteers can also provide help with transportation to child hospital appointments
- Free information line (0800 068 63 68)
How to Access
Families can refer themselves to “Home-Start St Helens” or be referred by a relative or professional with the family’s consent. “Home-Start St Helens” is open to families living in St Helens.