Citizens Advice St Helens
Citizens Advice St Helens provides free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities. It values diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. It provides advice people need for the problems that they face, and it improves the policies and practices that affect people’s lives.
Confidential, independent and free advice on a whole range of topics including debt, benefits, housing, employment, consumerism, travel, education, health and taxes. There is also help available online through the Citizens Advice Service adviceguidewebsite.
Citizens Advice St Helens has received funding from the British Gas Energy Trust to assist clients in financial hardship to apply to the Trust for the following grants:
- Gas and Electric arrears (including prepayment meters)
- Funeral Expenses
- Boiler repairs/replacements
- Essential household items (:cooker/fridge-freezer/washing machine)
- Bankruptcy./Debt Relief Order Deposit
The only criterion for applying is financial hardship. You do not need to be in receipt of a particular benefit or be a British Gas customer to apply. Our advisors are also trained in energy efficiency advice and can assist in fuel poverty.
Financial Awareness Service around the area whereby clients are able to access free debt advice.
How to Access
A drop-in session is available between 10 am and 2pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays on the second floor at the Millennium Centre. Alternatively, you can ring for advice or an appointment outside these hours by calling 0344 826 9694* between 10 am and 4 pm Monday to Friday (*if the enquiry is relating to debt or benefits please contact 01744 737 866 instead of the main number between 9 am and 4 pm Monday to Friday).
Advice is provided at the following outreach venues. These are a drop-in service so no appointment is necessary.
- Cowley High School on alternate Tuesdays 10-1pm
- Crownway Community Centre on Fridays from 10 am to 1 pm
Patients of the following GP practices can make an appointment to see a Debt Adviser by contacting the surgery direct.
- Berrymead Medical Centre
- Four Acre Surgery
- Halefield Medical Centre
- Rainbow Medical Centre
Sessions for the Financial Awareness Service are held at the following times and venues;:
- Monday – Holy Trinity Church, Parr Mount, Traverse St, Fingerpost, St Helens, WA9 1BW – 12.30 pm to 2.30 pm
- Tuesday – Hope Centre, Atherton Street, St Helens, WA10 2DT, 11 am to 1 pm
- Wednesday – St John the Baptist Church, St John St, Earlestown, WA10 9BS 11.30 am to 1.30 pm
- Thursday – St Helens Baptist Church, Hall St, St Helens, WA10 1EL – 11 am to 1 pm
- Friday – Hope Centre, Atherton St, St Helens, WA10 2DT, 11 am to 1 pm
Type of OrganisationLocal charity (no.1110382) and part of the national Citizens Advice Bureau network
Citizens Advice St Helens, The Millennium Centre (Second Floor), Corporation Street, St Helens, Merseyside, WA10 1HJ
- 0344 826 9694