St Helens Young Carers
St Helens Young Carers aims to raise awareness and provide support to children and young people with caring responsibilities. They provide statutory assessments in order to fully identify the support needed, helping Young Carers to better cope with their caring role. The service currently provides support for Young Carers aged 6-18 years of age. A Young Carer is a young person aged 6 to 18 years of age, who cares for a family member (ie parent, sibling), who due to their illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support. Young Carers often take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult. A Young Carer may do some or all of the following:
- Practical tasks, such as cooking, housework and shopping.
- Physical care, such as lifting, helping a parent on stairs or with physiotherapy.
- Personal care, such as dressing, washing, helping with toileting needs.
- Managing the family budget, collecting benefits and prescriptions.
- Administering medication.
- Looking after or “parenting” younger siblings.
- Emotional support.
- Interpreting, due to a hearing or speech impairment or because English is not the family’s first language.
- Full Statutory Young Carers Assessment of need and thorough action plan
- Short-term intensive family support
- Practical & emotional support
- Group Activities
- Peer Support Groups
- Sign posting
- Multi-agency work/attendance to relevant meetings
- Emergency planning
- Day trips
- Residential trips
- One to One Support
- Training & Information Sessions
- Personal Budget Award
- One to One Drop in Service – Thursday evening 3.30-5.30pm (term time only), giving Young Carers the opportunity to talk to someone if they have any worries about their caring role that could be affecting their social life, education or health.
- Regular newsletters
How to Access
Self-referrals can be made by telephoning the Young Carers Centre on 01744 677279 or on- line via our website below.
Professionals/Agencies can make referrals into our service by accessing our on-line referral form via our website below.? There is a section for professionals.
If you would like further guidance on whether you think a young person should be referred into the service, they can contact the Young Carers Centre on 01744 677279. There are also referral guidelines available on our website.
Monday: 9.30 am till 4.30 pm
Tuesday: 9.30 am till 4.30 pm
Wednesday: 9.30 am till 4.30 pm
Thursday: 9.30 am till 7.00 pm (late night)
Friday: 9.30 am – 4.00 pm